What Does St. Joseph Missourr Mean?
Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German arrangement in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon adopted and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers arrived for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was included in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was arranged, which happens to be the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the young families after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to click here crops and animal care. Soon after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the warfare ended people were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stick together more than ever. Through a federal government offer, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially entered the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph had a human population of around 1050, getting rid of 10 heroic military to the warfare. The community continued to be strong and continued to improve the Village, adding a water tower in 1949, along with a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its water supply, and proceeds to do so.